Saturday, August 30, 2008

On Commie Block housing and water heaters

First: Thanks to the people who are reading and commenting! Mom, Dad, Weas, Ash, Little, and LilLil, I love you back. Lurkers, I love you too.

So I live in a commie block building, surrounded by other commie block buildings. This is interesting. It's actually a sort of cute flat. Nice wood floors, a little balcony, etc. It's just my American predispositions screaming. So here is where fantasy comes in.

Me: Let's pretend we're starving artists, living in a garret. We can write poems!
Lyla rolls eyes.

So then a few hours later, making myself a salami sandwich for lunch, which involves squeezing mayonnaise out of a toothpaste tube, I comment: Let's pretend we're college students. If we were in college, we would be super psyched to live here!

Lyla: I thought we were starving artists.
Me: So we're priveleged starving artists. Whatever.

Then, of course, came "Let's pretend we're frontierswomen." This one happened when we had no hot water, and I had to go to work, and smelled really bad. The solution here was to fill the tub with a few inches of the ice water that came from the tap, then boil pots of water, then add those to the ice water. This resulted in a cool, but reasonable bath.

My school, despite being an hour away along tram line 1, is lovely. It's very cute, and my contact teacher is very awesome. (As an example, she lugged my heaviest suitcase up to our 4th floor walk up like it weighed nothing while smoking and screaming into her cell phone.) I'll be teaching first and second with the help of an acerbic Hungarian gentleman. Should be fun.

Now to attempt laundry. Vaguely afraid of the machine, but pressing on anyway.

Love and miss you guys a lot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really should be a writer. You Certainly have a flair for the dramatic!

Glad you are having fun and enjoying the wonders of Soviet housing.

Hope the salami sandwich was all you hoped for, and more!

I love you and miss you a lot! Happy two days after birthday!

Love,

Dad xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Hand tough. Think how much money you are saving not having to fly to Europe to travel there. You will get usta it. I hated Germany till I started work and then the days flew by. Came to love the food, the people but never the long commute. I love you and miss you very much. Love, MOM xo0o0x

Anonymous said...

dude - i am highly, HIGHLY entertained.
miss you tons.
tell lyla I say hi...maybe next you can pretend to be americorps members :)
-cyndie

Sara said...

Lauren,
It makes me so happy that you are referring to it as "commie block" and i can only assume what your words allude to. anyway, if you need help understanding life, i can send you The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx (I have the pocket version). I can send you plenty of books that will help you familiarize yourself with the wonderfulness of communism. Hope all is well and that you continue to bathe....


Sara Brown (aka. slut, whore, prostitute, etc.)

Anonymous said...

lauren!!! i agree w/ everyone. your blog/writing is amazing and so interesting....i have a question for you and was wondering if you had an email address you check, that i could email you it??? thanks! and i'm glad you are doing great...my email is melissa@wtccentralpa.org

miss ya lots,
missi