Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Today Lauren stood up for herself

So I have felt a lot in the past week like I was getting a lot of... not attitude, because I'm talking about adults, not children, but really... attitude from the folks around me. I know that it must be super annoying a lot of the time to deal with the American who's still wet behind the ears, who doesn't know any of the rules/traditions/cultural quirks that rule a Hungarian school, and who, most of all, doesn't speak Hungarian. I know.

However. However. I am trying... really hard! I go to Hungarian lessons. I try to be everywhere I need to be, early and fully prepared. And I ask a lot of questions. Which is usually when I get the "attitude." I know I'm the only person who needs this explained. I'm also the only person who has lived in the country for less than 3 years (and I've been here seven weeks!) who works at the school, so explain it to me already!

Now, today, one of the parents apparently approached one of the other teachers and explained that her daughter was very upset because she didn't get a sticker three weeks ago. Because she didn't do her work. He asked me what was up with that. I said that the whole class was being ridiculous, either talking, out of their seat, drawing pictures, reading books in Hungarian, whatever. I remember this day very clearly because I'm talking about 2C here, and they're usually my best-behaved class. So. The response was that the girl didn't understand, so to make sure I have someone translate for me. I explained that it wasn't a big deal! It's a sticker we're talking about here. And the girl was goofing off and that's why she didn't understand. He repeated that I should have one of the students translate.

I was spitting mad. Luckily the next lesson was a planning period. Unluckily, I sat there and stewed. So I took a walk. And thought about how many times I have been frustrated about the fact that it is somehow my fault that I don't speak fluent Hungarian seven weeks after arriving in the country.

Then I marched back into the teachers' lounge. I showed my notebook where I comment on each lesson, that detailed the students' bad behavior that day. Then I stated, very calmly, "If she didn't understand, it's because she wasn't paying attention. I worry that if we are too quick to say 'oh, she or he didn't understand' that it will become an excuse. I already have enough trouble disciplining the students. I need you to understand, and to express to the parent, that everything was made perfectly clear to the students who were paying attention, who have a wide range of skill levels, and that if she had been paying attention to the lesson she would have understood as well."

My dear teaching partner blinked, then said "ok." And in the next lesson, requested that the students gather their notebooks and line up at the door... in English.

I feel vindicated. And adult.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to be alce!

Anonymous said...

Be strong little one. It will come in time. I love you and miss you a lot. Love, Mom o0xo0xo0

CS said...

Good for you- if only you were in my office today when my teachers started grilling me about my blog... I retreated in defeat... meh.

Anonymous said...

Hey Big, I miss you! I was just at Lyco last weekend and visited little dos and she sends her love.

I was reading your entries and came across the horse one. I laughed to myself a little....... ;)
I sold her this week... =/ sad, but i made a decent amount.

I'm going to be living in MA for two months for work... i'm excited! I leave Oct 14th!

Love you,
lil

Anonymous said...

don't put up with no crap!!

Proud of you. Take a deep breath and relax. All is fine. Szia.

Love ya!!
Dad xoxo

Anonymous said...

can I come to dinner? Miss you love you grandma Dee XOlet me know if you get this love