Friday, October 3, 2008

Weird cultural difference

Szia, giant commie statue! Hogy vagy?
Me? Well, I'm a bit confused!

So in Hungary it's apparently super important to say, quite loudly, hello to everyone whenever you enter or leave the teachers' room. This is a little bit annoying because you then have to respond. So in a planning period I will say szia 5-10 times. And god forbid I have to go to the restroom. I stand up, declare sziasztok in order to leave, and then declare it again three minutes later upon my return, forcing everyone else to say szia twice in the process. The ten minutes before first lesson, as everyone comes in and then leaves for class, is completely ridiculous. You can't even converse. "So -szia- how was your -szia- night?" "Oh good. -Szia.- I watched -szia- -szia- a movie with friends." It's awkward.

For those of you who don't know, Hungarians use the same word for hello and goodbye, szia. Sziasztok in the plural. It's like aloha. Since they also have started using hello as well, they will also say hello to say goodbye. And cute things like "very hello!" as a greeting. Love.

At the same time, nobody wishes each other a nice weekend! Around my last lesson on Friday, I start with the well-wishing. "Have a nice weekend!" I smile and state. They look at me strangely. "Yes." WHAT IS THIS? You have to say hello and goodbye every ten seconds, but wishing people a nice weekend is weird. Huh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great talking with you. You sound better each and every time. I love and miss you a lot. You do speak hungarian, just not fluent. I was glad about the dog. Love ya, MOM xo0xo0xoox

jeremy said...

were you terribly disappointed by Statue Park? I had built it up so much in my mind, i guess, that it was a little underwhelming when i finally got there.

:-)