Sunday, September 13, 2009

exciting to live, boring to read

So my life is going on, and it's exciting, and happy, if slightly tiring this week. But I'm a little bit braindead, so I think I will go over the main points in the ever-enticing bullet format.

It's funny. I love my life here: my job is fun and interesting, I have nice friends, I laugh all the time at funny people and ridiculous things. But most of it seems like things that would be just too damn boring to read about, so I don't share them here. For example, a mad-libs themed lesson I did with my third graders that resulted in them writing the funniest, most creative sentences using their vocabulary. I loved it and laughed about it for a day. They loved it and spent the whole lesson shouting their sentences out and writing even more than I asked them to! But seriously... nobody wants to read about lesson plans. I don't want to read about my own lesson plans.

Anyway.... here we go.

*I sat through an entire two and a half hour long class meeting with 2B and primarily understood what was going on. Not in the greatest detail, mind you, but the big parts. And now I'm going to go to forest school with them come June, where the whole class goes camping for a week. Which is sweet: I was sort of bummed to be stuck at school with the 8 other teachers who didn't do forest school last year, wandering the empty halls and teaching two classes a day. It was boring. Taking 2B through the forest and on adventures, though, should be quite fun.

*Yesterday our street had a block party! Or, as they call it here, a street ball. :) There were musicians and random people selling stuff, as well as a giant fire in the middle of the road created, of course, to cook gulyas.

*Yesterday was also the annual wine festival up at the castle in Buda. It was equally exciting as last year, full of vendors offering all different sorts of wine and food. I fell asleep at midnight and slept without moving until 11 AM, which point the reflection of myself moving actually startled me into falling out of my bed.

*I have found a lovely river-side bike route to work, and have decked out my bike with a basket on the back and a bright green frog-shaped horn on the front.

*Lyla and I found our way back to the Asian market in Ferencvaros and ate delicious food again.

*Tragically, we've also watched 3 seasons of How I Met Your Mother and 1 and 1/2 seasons of Chuck in the past week or so. When you're at work from 730 in the morning until 6 in the evening teaching, writing curricula, planning lessons, and attending parents' meetings you just want to sit on the couch and zone out in the evening. And that is precisely what we have been doing.

1 comment:

Val said...

As an aspiring CETPer, I love to read your blog (along with everyone else's) no matter how boring you think it is. Lesson plans, great! Funny Hungarian experiences, even better! Just wanted to let you know that you have a fan no matter how boring you think your posts are!

You can check out my blog too, if you'd like! violetdry.blogspot.com. It's a mishmash of almost done with college stress, travels, hungarian pinings, etc.
Val <3