Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Taste of Home

I'm borrowing the name of one of my favorite series of cookbooks for this post. I guess I must be ready to go home because I wanted nothing more than to cook America for dinner. So, I did. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, crudite... and mixed nut brittle to finish it off.


Beautiful!

I must admit I was a bit scared to make a dry caramel, especially since the only appropriate pan is quite dark. It turned out fantastic, however. I just melted a cup plus a bit of sugar until it smelled like caramel over medium heat. I removed it from the heat and added about 2 square inches of butter, cut into little bits, let that melt, and then added a cup of toasted nuts and a dash of salt. The mixture was then poured onto a greased cookie sheet, spread, and allowed to dry. It's like eating delicious glass.

A photo of a sleepy Bencelita hugging my thumb is always a nice way to top off a post, I think.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Bencelita loos happy and that is a great way to end a post. Very nice meal! Made me hungry.

A Peugeot could stop a midget zombie clown. Just a thought.

Love you and see you soon! Dad xoxo

Lauren's MOM said...

Bencelita looks so content. Did she have some nut brittle? Midgets, zombies and clowns.... Ugh...I would have left the theatre. Any special meals do you want when you are home? I sent the cookie instructions you wanted. Love and miss you so, MOM o0xo0x

Anonymous said...

Food looked delicios wish I was there to help you eat. Your pet Bencelita looked so content. Iwould have walked out on that movie. We have a few times when movie was sick. see you soon love and miss you Grandma XO