Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I am a Spanish TV star...

So Alfonso notices that there is going to be a show following Spanish expats in Budapest on TV. He makes a note to watch it. They show the baths, parliament, etc. Then they show Hero's Square. Who does he see in the background?

Me! And Lyla! And, apparently, two old ladies pointing at us and shaking their heads, not amused by my photo in which I "support" the spire in the monument.

When we were there, we noticed there was a car with a camera crew. We figured it was Hungarian news or something. How weird that it was for a Spanish TV show that Alfonso just happened to watch?!?!

Also, we got a new water heater today! I washed my hair and can now run my fingers from root to tip for the first time in 5 weeks. Whoo. Naturally, we celebrated this by having a hip hop dance party in the flat while cleaning the disaster left behind by their installing the thing essentially with a buzz saw and a hammer.

Class is going really well this week. We switched up the format a little bit now that second grade has to learn to read and write in English. So Balint teaches them the spelling and I... play games with them. No more playway (my sort of annoying curriculum) with second grade for ten whole weeks. Glee. Instead we play four corners, bingo, memory, etc. so they can practice the words and I force them to say "three" instead of "bree" and "one" instead of "vone." A trained monkey could do my job but I like it a lot. First grade is still rolling with the playway, but at least they are starting to know a few key phrases and things. So that's better.

Class is going really well also. Megyek ostalyban ket nap, hetfo es szerda, es tanulok. Beszelek es tanulok. Nagyon jol van. (I go to class twice a week, Monday and Wednesday, and I learn. I speak and I learn. It's very good.) I'm still terrified to speak to collegeauges other than "good morning" but soon I will try. Soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are doing a great job!
also, you are very much missed in the California.
love ya, girl -
cyndie

Anonymous said...

also - guess which school this was? http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080924/NEWS/809240260/0/WEATHER
what they don't mention is that the "after school program" was at RECESS at the time of the blaze...luckily all our kids were good, but can you just picture the mayhem? this was right on campus....
-cyndie

Anonymous said...

Will you still talk with us little people now that you are a major reality TV star?

Glad it is going so good now! Love ya and miss you a lot!!

Love, Dad xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything is improving. Enjoy a hot bath. Love & miss you. Love, MOM o0xo0x