Monday, September 8, 2008

On a happier note

in Hero's Square
the Chain Bridge
the town of Szentendre
Lyla and I in Szentendre


"Hello. My name is Lauren. I am American. I speak Hungarian very poorly but I am learning. I think Krudy Gyula is a beautiful school and I like it a lot. That's all. Thanks."

^Saying this in Hungarian today at the parent-teacher meeting resulted in my literally jumping up and down outside the school, phoning both Alfonso and my mother to brag on myself, and hi-fiving the man from the fruit stand.

I went to Debrecen this weekend, ostensibly for a jazz fest. Of course, my planning was off and I heard not a single note of jazz. Whoo. It was, however, a splendid weekend. I danced, drank, slept in a big puppy pile on the couch, and interacted with other human beings in a relaxed and normal way. Not a single old lady yelled at me, and I met the lovely Sucry, Ali, and Edit, who greatly improved the weekend. AND I saw Jupiter through a telescope powerful enough that I could see its surface patterns.

On a side note, I get yelled at almost daily by old ladies. I don't understand this, because in America old ladies love me. Usually I just sort of cower and say "Nem ertem, es sajnalom nem ertem." "I don't understand, and I'm sorry I don't understand." It is awkward.

I have decided to make friends with an older American guy at work (older being 30ish) who speaks Hungarian and is genuinely kind. This makes me feel sooooo much less out of place in the teachers' room. Though I'm hoping that the news of my triumphant use of Hungarian spreads and I am looked at more nicely.

We are having folks over for dinner tonight. I cooked some tortilla. The flat will be stretched to capacity. Speaking of, I think I might be able to put up a picture! These are of the flat: the hallway, the main room, the bathroom, the kitchen, and the stove. I am also totally "stockholm syndome-ing" the flat. I think it's cute and homey! It's not full of bugs and smelling of natural gas! No! I love it!


Hi Lyla! My bed is the one in the corner.


Look, Mom, the gargoyle is out. He protects the window.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Big. Do you remember the chaos in Spain when my straightener caught fire???... and we had to trek around Salamanca looking for a european straightener? Lol...

Well I came across it this weekend and was wondering if you had any use for it.. or anyone over there? I will gladly send it to you! ... as I have no use for it.

I'm applying for a new job... ah! It's a York County job-- i'd be in charge of the 4-H programs across the state and such things... it sounds really cool, i'll keep you posted.

I get my tonsils out tomorrow... UGH :( Lots of sherbert for me... and luke warm soup broth, ew.

Lauren said...

Hello Little:

How could I forget that chaos? If you want to send it, we will gladly take it! Good luck on the new job (and the tonsils)... at least you get to eat lovely ice cream. :)

I miss you! XOXOXOXO Come visit.

Anonymous said...

Hi LL,

NIce apartment! It looks nice. Just the two of ya so who cares how big.

Looks like a real nice trip this w/e. Glad it recharged your spirits.

Glad also that your little speech thingy went so great today. I knew you would kick butt.

I love you and am very very proud of you!

Love,

Dad xoxo