Thursday, November 27, 2008

Weapons in Schools... a la magyar

So I'm going to take a page from Vivvi and make a photo comment on an interesting cultural difference. In America, teachers have to do everything short of wrapping kids in bubble wrap to keep them safe and thus avoid being sued. In Hungary, this is not the case. Everyday I observe boys wrestling and jumping on each other, girls climbing on each other, children sliding down banisters, and, now, incredibly violent snowball fights. I have watched kids do limbo on scooters, sumo wrestle each other (and teachers!), and leap from very tall heights onto the unpadded floor. While this happens I am normally shocked, pointing awkwardly at the children flying through the air, while the other teachers chat nonchallantly and perhaps laugh at my funny American ways.

Today, however, takes the cake. It was Renaissance Day. Why, I don't know. The kids made fake weapons, watched a cartoon about a famous king that featured people becoming beligerantly wasted and very detailed heaving bosoms, and this:


This is Levi. He is a second grader. And he is doing archery in the school gym. WITH REAL, SHARP, ACTUAL ARROWS. As if it were the most normal thing in the world to do.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we had grenade trainig when I was in school. Ah, the good old days......

Love you very much and hope you have a great Thanksgiving. You will be missed!!

Love, Dad xoxox

Anonymous said...

Lauren Love and miss you XO

Anonymous said...

Honey Love to read your stuff Very interesting Love you XOXO HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving little one. Will not be the same without you, but I know you are having a great time. I love today's writing. Different worlds. Love and Miss you, Love MOM ox0o0xo0

Cyndie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!