Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hockey!

I would just like to say: Make some noise!


Or the penguin will eat your soul.

I love hockey. I love any sort of sport live, actually. The energy of the crowd, singing along with the old familiar sports chants, soft pretzels and beer, and a night out all combine to make a happy Lauren.

I'm having a very nice time at home. On Saturday I was lucky enough to see all of the sigma epsilon chi girls in Williamsport for a night of debauchery and fun. I miss them a lot, but I have to say that every time we get together it's like we haven't been apart. We fall back into our own patterns, every one of us with such a different and complementary personality. I'm so lucky to have all these girls in my life, in whatever limited capacity due to my tendency to move very far away, but in a very real way nevertheless.



My mind keeps wandering and I must admit that I am somewhat surprised as to where. I must admit that it's sort of strange to be at home, to be hearing English, and to not be at work surrounded by my babies and my kids. I keep trying to say boch to strangers who bump into me and constantly say kosz to my family, much to the irritation of the weasel.

I guess that I've adjusted a little bit too well to my life in Hungary, as I keep being somewhat amazed at just how impossibly easy my life is here in America, between cars, clothes dryers, reliable internet, and being able to freaking communicate with everyone around me without any difficulties whatsoever. Not that I'm complaining, and not that I don't already miss these things. They just sort of strike me as strange and different now. I wonder if I'll be able to just be blissfully unaware of the remarkableness of American-ness again. I know I'm a very adaptable critter and would adapt back to all this being "normal" again just fine. But right now, it simply isn't for me, and it's quite fascinating to watch it all.

But since Hungary isn't "normal" for me either... where does that leave me? And is this a blessing or a curse? I guess my life will show me the answers, and I look forward to finding them, and even moreso to the adventures I'll have on my surely awkward, stumbling, and amazing way to them. I feel flush heading into 2009. 2008 was a sort of strange and unhappy year for me. I think... no, I feel... that 2009 has some incredible things in store for me. And I'm ready to greet them all with my big smile and an open heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi baby glad you made it back safely. Miss you and love you. got your thank you card you did not have to do that Glad you had a good time at home and glad to see you appreciate your mom and dad. They love you as we all do. Was very nice seeing you. your blogs are interesting. Love grandma XO

Anonymous said...

I miss you so much. Love, MOM o0xo0

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't get to see you. I RARELY use facebook anymore... and i've been on the goe since the 23rd. :(

I miss you... been thinking about you. I hope you had a wonderful time at home.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3958/kaiser11sf0.jpg (Kaiser at 5.5 weeks)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6684/kaiser13uh6.jpg (8 weeks -- this isn't so flattering... he was sad I was leaving. He learned to climb over that gate that day....)

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4953/kaiser14tj2.jpg

alyse.blackburn@gmail.com
email me sometime :)