Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bringing American Back

So, I live in Hungary, right?

Despite this rather fundamental fact, the other fundamental fact is that I continue to be quite American. I try to be culturally sensitive, and appreciate and blend into the local environment. But very often this past week, I find myself saying... well, f that. This has led to me taking part in the following activities:

Trotting through Pilango park today, kicking fluffy snow into the air.

Teaching the children to catch snowflakes on their tongue.

Having an impromptu latin dance party in the schoolyard, powered only by my tiny iPod speaker. The kiddies can shake it!

Admitting to a Russian girl and an Austrian boy (of the 25ish years old variety) that I have no idea what to do with techno music. My admission included my pumping my arms in the air while chanting, "What do I do with this? I'm American and impossibly awkward!" and then singing a little techno beat. I was sober.

Bringing a 95% cooked paella into work to give to Balint so he can cook it tomorrow. His grandma died, he's missing work tomorrow for the funeral, and, as I explained to him, "When people have a death, you bring food. It's just what you do."

Teaching Edina the "I would forget my head were not attached to my shoulders" song that I constantly sing to myself in the middle of the staff room.

Laughing really loudly on a very crowded intercity train.

Informing someone that they need to be quiet, because America is just different from Hungary or any other tiny country, so their theories don't really apply to us. And they don't understand our situation any more than I understand theirs.

Fitting two adult girls onto a twin bed.

Throwing my student's juice box into the trashcan after she kept drinking from it in class.

Tomorrow, my students are taking a test. I've already cleared it with their classroom teacher and Balint that if they cheat, I will take it from them and rip it in half. Hungarians, on the other hand, don't seem to really care that much about students cheating, as long as they can cheat well!

America might not be perfect. Americans, though... we have some damn fine qualities, if I may say so myself. Now if only I knew anything about geography! ;)

Also... tanultam a múlt idő! That's right... finally, I learned the past tense!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long week already? Tell Balant sorry about the death in his family. I love you Lauren. Love, MOM o0x0ox

Anonymous said...

Lauren Sorry about the death in Balant's family. I guess they don't do the food thing like we do. We are getting snow now. If they only use table salt how do sidewalks get cleaned. Glad your new language instructions are going well. Keep up good work. Love you Grandma XOXO

Anonymous said...

USA USA USA

Go Team America LL. It really is funny how you notice the things that make us Americans when you are away from home.

Love ya and keep having fun. Love Dad XOXO