Sunday, August 2, 2009

Krakow, the rest

So on our second day in Krakow we woke up early and headed out to Auschwitz and Birkenau.  And it was large, and impactful, and sad.  Though I must admit that it was not so sad as I expected.  Perhaps it was the beautiful sunny day, the swarms of shouting tourists, or perhaps I'm just desensitized from living in central Europe where so many horrible things have happened.  Anyway.  For me, the most impactful thing was the sheer size of Birkenau.  The barbed wire stretched out almost as far as I could see on either side.  It's huge.  

Our last day in Krakow was spent wandering the city.  It's lovely.  The main market square is huge, and there is a castle and a cathedral atop a hill, guarded by a dragon.  I have to say, though, and at the risk of flogging... Krakow was not my favorite town in Poland.  It was beautiful!  Just... not my favorite.

After that it was to the bus station for an overnight trip to L'viv, Ukraine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad that somethings happened. Why? I love ya, MOM xo0o0x

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I just was catching up on your blog! I loved Krakow when I was there! Isn't that Market on the square just so nice! I was there before Poland took the Euro and the amber and wooden decorations in that market square were so cheap! Did you eat at the ice cream place along the square? They had the best ice cream!!! I also went to Aushwitchz and I too felt the emotions. It was a sunny day and lots of tourists, but yet there was still an eeire feeling. I hope all is well and I love reading your blog! :)

<3, Melissa Stiles

Anonymous said...

Lauren Hope you are feeling better. I ache for you Everything sounds so wonderful. Sorry about the long bus ride. so glad you got to do all that I really envy you Love Grandma