Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rest in Peace, Kis Patkányom


I came home from Forest School on Friday and Benci was, for the most part, ok. I walked into the living room and she jumped up onto the bars of her cage to greet me. Her feet were curled and she sometimes slid while climbing, but we spent one last great weekend together.

On Monday she was a bit slanty. On Tuesday she was more so. I knew that she had suffered another stroke, but since she had recovered so nicely, and actually quickly, from the other one I wasn't too worried. Last night she was breathing really roughly and weakly, though, so before bed I put her in her little sleeping sack and brought her into bed with me so she could stay warm.

This morning she was gone. She was curled on her side, her eyes closed, and actually looked quite peaceful. I am happy that she went that way, and with me. We went to the park and had a little burial, and planted a flower above her. We left a little stone, too. "Bencelita: ambassador of rat-kind."

We would always make Benci "talk" when we had her out of her cage, and she always had such an attitude. She referred to us as "her bitches" and when we would pay her some compliment, she would always add to it. "You're so fluffy and szép!" we'd say. "Don't forget okos!" would be her "reply." I like to think this was actually her little attitude, and that she knew how awesome we thought she was.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Benci. I feel for you. At least you have good memories. You were good to her so keep that in mind. See you soon love and kisses

Your Mom said...

I am so sorry about Benci. I am glad she was with you happy and warm in her last moments. She was one loved rat. I love and miss you.
Love, Mom oo0xo0xo0

Dad said...

Lauren, you made her the happiest rat in Europe. She passed away beautifully and at peace with her favorite person. She was happy to the end. Sorry that she's gone.

Love you, Dad xoxo

Val said...

Oh Lauren- That is so so sad. It does sound like she was very happy and was probably content just to be sleeping next to you. I'm very sorry!

Anonymous said...

Lauren Hope you know that anonymous is me Your mom said she did not know if you knew I havr been sending them forever Once again sorry about Benci Love Grandma Dee XO

Christie said...

i'm glad you had her and wrote about her and posted pics of her. i've never cared for rats before but your relationship with yours made me think again. i've got tears as i write this, even.
it's sad/perfect that it happened at the end of your time here, like you had each other just as long as you needed each other.
if xander ever dies, i hope he goes like that.
i'm sorry.

JonClark said...

I'm sad to hear that she's gone. She sure was a good rat who left us with many wonderful memories Even in my limited time with her I could see how awesome she really was.