Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cleaning the closet

And no, that's not a metaphor.  I am literally cleaning out my closet, and it's disconcerting.  For one, how did one person possibly accumulate so many clothes in ten or so years?  (I say ten years because I don't think I have anything from before the middle of high school.)  And it is just a remarkable amount of stuff.  I have already filled 6 full-sized garbage bags to donate and there is more to go.  This doesn't include, by the way, my three suitcases of general stuff that actually travels with me.

Another discovery is how SHORT everything is.  Style has definitely changed.  My style, also, has definitely changed, from jeans and casual tops to skirts and dresses with more tailored shirt options.  I guess I grew up a bit.

Nevertheless, it's a bit sad to find old relics from high school or college and shove them into a trash bag.  I hope most of them can be reused by somebody who needs them.  They have some memories, that's for sure.  Isn't it strange how much things, inanimate and seemingly meaningless items, grow to have feelings and history attached to them?  I wore this shirt when x, I got this while visiting y, this was a gift from z.  And then this thing, which is really nothing at all, becomes so important.  Nevertheless, it's pretty much time to let go.  And an empty(ish) closet will be lovely.

No comments: