Thursday, April 23, 2009

Adventures in Hungarian Medicine

Well, it has finally happened. Today I went to the doctor's office, or "the clinic" as they refer to it. Over a week after stepping hard on a pointy rock in Athens, I was still in quite severe pain. I can walk ok, as long as I don't put any weight on my left heel. I was tempted to just see if it would get better, but since the swelling was also getting worse after a day of running around yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet and go.

I had two free lessons, so I figured that was plenty of time to go and make an appointment for tomorrow. I arrived, waited in line, and said "My foot hurts," to the triage nurse, holding up my quick sketch of a foot coming down on a pointy rock. "What was that?" she snapped back at me. "I'm sorry my Hungarian is so bad," I offered. "My foot hurts."

She sighed, and started banging things into a computer, shooting me rapid-fire questions. I managed ok, but became more and more frazzled at the speed of her Hungarian. Finally there was one I didn't know. "Could you say it again, please?" I stammered. She sighed, banged down the keyboard, and asked the woman next to her, who translated. Super. I knew then that I was in for a rough time. Finally I got a number, and was told to go to the first floor.

I arrived, and looked up at the automatic number caller (the kind they have at deli counters in the States). Nine. I looked down at the slip of paper in my hand. 43.

Worriedly, I called Bálint and asked if he could handle 2B by himself in two hours.

I then missed my number, because they somehow read my name as "Michelle Larent" off my passport. Waiting again, a nurse walked up and scolded me. I started to cry. Apparently I was sitting in the wrong chair. I moved one seat to the left and she was satisfied and left.

Finally I got into the doctor's office. I took off my shoe to show him where it hurt, and the doctor and nurse simultaneously grabbed my heel and squeezed it. "Does this hurt?" "Ye-Yes!"

I was given a piece of paper and sent for an Xray. Hungarian, of course, is the only language that doesn't call this an Xray. Thirty minutes and one more nurse scolding me later, I was led into the Xray room, where the nurse grabbed my poor foot, twisted it around, and threw a napkin-sized lead blanket at me to cover... one ovary? Xrays over, more waiting. And more waiting.

The final diagnosis: I have bruised my heel bone. The suggested treatment? Ice it (my freezer doesn't really do ice), wrap it up, and try not to walk on it or climb stairs. As I grimaced at this, the doctor smiled. "Your flat doesn't have an elevator, does it?" "No, no it doesn't... Where do I go to pay?"

The doctor smiled and gave me heel one more questioning squeeze. "This is Hungary. It is free."

I stumbled out, four hours after I went in to make an appointment, clutching a sheet of directions I couldn't read and a card suggesting a certain analgesic gel, and gimped over to the bus stop. And called my parents for a verbal hug.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby Sorry you hurt your heel also sorry about your treatment. Feel for you but here is a big hug from me OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHope you feel better. Soon you will be able to speak better than them and then you can tell them where to go.Weather is finally nice Went to Ryan's game tonight his team finally won their first game. Love and miss you Grandma XO

Dad said...

Plenty more hugs available if needed. Sorry your adventures in socalized medicine was fraught with so many mean nurses. You know how they can be cranky!

Love you and get better. Dad xoxo

Mom xo0x0ox said...

I am glad it was not serious. I sure do love and miss you. Have Baliant go with you to translate if they ever want to do surgery please. Love you, MOM o0x0ox