Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The ridiculousness

So yesterday I was riding my new bike home, pondering the things that have been troubling me. I'm tooling along, having gone eight of the nine kilometers necessary to take me from its birthplace to my home, without incident. I even rode along the side of the road and wasn't killed.

And suddenly, my left pedal falls off, and I crash into the wall of a police station, swiping a dude in the process.

I wasn't hurt, besides a scraped face, and neither was the man. I picked up the pedal and walked the bike the last of the way home, and laughed the whole way.

Because really, when the pedal falls off your bike as you're riding? There is obviously no way that you can possibly control what is happening to you. I remembered all of a sudden that life is a farce, a comedy, a misadventure. So I should probably stop taking it all so seriously, and just laugh at all the things. Better than crying, anyway.

5 comments:

Mom o0xo0 said...

Poor L. Love, MOM o0xo0x

Dad said...

ALL PEDESTRIANS, CARS, MAILBOXES, BUILDINGS, LOW FLYING AIRPLANES: BEWARE. Lauren is on a bike. Run away!!
I just can't believe that you had bike trouble. That's just so unlike you. Have fun on it, LL! I look forward to our rides
I was kicked out of the room when Mom and Jackie were watching Twilight because of snide comments--it had to be the worst piece of crap ever filmed. So proud of you for hating it!

Have a great week and see you soon. Love Dad xoxo

Ashley said...

oh laur... you know how you used to tell me that only weird, ridiculous things happened to me? I think you caught my problem.

I'm proud that you got a bike though!

Anonymous said...

Lauren Sorry about your bike but glad you are okay. Next time you go to a wine thing have a drink for me Glad you enjoyed your pancake syrup Give Bencelita a kiss for me. Enjoy the nice weather. Love and miss you Grandma XO

Rita said...

Lauren,
I read you bike experience and am happy you came away with a new life prospective which will serve you well. I miss seeing you but I can see you are enjoying what you are doing so much. I am sending a verbal HUG. God bless you. Love, "Aunt" Rita