Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Neni attack! As caused by... sarcasm?

I have mentioned on here many times that Hungarian old ladies, nenis, hate me. Last night I was complaining about a particular episode where I got up to offer my seat to an old lady, and she hit me with her umbrella and starting scolding me. I was appalled by this. As I ranted, my friend Laci stopped me. "What exactly happened?" he asked.

"Oh, I don't know. I saw an old lady, so I got up and said tessek." And I demonstrated with my hands the way I had offered the chair with my hands.

Immediately the three Hungarians I was talking to shouted "Ohhh! That's why!" In response to my total flabbergasted-ness (it's a word if I say it is!), the explained that the way I offered her the chair with my hands while saying the basic equivalent of "please, take my chair," was most likely viewed by the little old lady as sarcastic. I sputtered in bewildered frustration. WHAT?!? Seriously.

Next time I have to deal with a neni, I'm keeping my hands in my pockets. We'll see how that goes.

On an unrelated note, I had two open lessons this morning. I woke up vomiting, infected with the stomach thing that has been running around Krudy. So I went into work, taught one open lesson, was sick again, taught my second lesson, and headed home. And thus took only the second sick day of my entire life (I still have never taken an entire sick day). And I did nothing productive. I feel quite guilty about it. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded of how very American I actually am! Now I'm feeling significantly better. If I had to choose only two things I really love about my physical self number one would be my hair, and number two would definitely be my iron stomach.

1 comment:

Dad said...

I think your hair is one of my choices, too, but I remember your "iron" stomach as more of a puke-o-matic. I think your sister would agree.

Sorry the neni's are still being mean to you. They are scary.

Love and miss ya, Dad xoxo