Sunday, November 15, 2009

a totally unorganized post

we are totally responsible rat mommies

So, what has been going on for the past two weeks? Honestly, not much. The weather has been pretty atrocious, and the flu is running around. Both the normal flu, and H1N1 also continues closer and closer to Hungary... first Ukraine, then Bulgaria got hit with quarantines. Work has also been pretty crazy for no real reason, just a lot of work. Balint and Edit have both been out a few times for different workshops and trainings, so I have had the class to myself, which is fun because it equals a bigger paycheck, but less fun because it equals a bigger class.

So I have done a frightening amount of staying at home. I have done this to give private lessons, cook beautiful meals (enchiladas, squash soup, baked mac and cheese, pot stickers, wontons...), to grade papers, and to rest off the general feeling of weariness that has been following me around.

Happily, that changed this weekend. It started on Thursday night, where we went out to celebrate Vivvi's birthday, and perhaps due to our weeks of responsibility, got a little too irresponsible. Friday night we had a night in, but not in our flat. We watched little Lucas, our friends' ten-week old angel baby. And he was adorable and sweet, and if I could bottle the scent of the top of his head, so soft, I would. Saturday it was off to the Tropicarium, which is in a mall in southern Buda. Nevertheless, it was surprisingly nice and complete, and I got to pet rays. Then we saw Julie and Julia, which was cute. Finally today we had a small viewing party of Up, which we downloaded and loved.


It has also been sort of strange, in that I keep bumping into people I know. Which is strange, because I don't feel like I actually know all that many people. But this weekend everywhere I go, there someone is. And it's lovely, and makes me feel like I'm at home.

I have been struck this week by how at home I feel. I head out to work, and nod at the corner shop employee having his smoke on the corner. I got pulled over by the cops for "incorrect signaling" and successfully told them they were mistaken (basically, correct signaling is just ignored here... you just have to point in the direction you're turning). Things have seemed clear and beautiful to me, despite the rain. I wore an irresponsibly short skirt out in the cold, just like everyone else, and could give snappy responses to the few comments I got. And I feel comfortable.

I don't know if I mentioned this on here, but one of my classes was having serious problems. We just couldn't find success together, and it was killing me. Their last test on Friday, though, was superb. 17 of the 25 got 100%s, and 7 of the other ones got As. I was so happy while I was grading their tests in the staff room that I was actually making happy noises and getting some strange looks. And I guess... that's all!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Only you would get pulled over on a bike. You have your dad's magnet for police. LOL. Love, MOM xoo0x