Wednesday, September 15, 2010

time commitment

I just sat down and tallied up my responsibilities this year.  Every week I:
  • am at school around 31 hours, teaching 24 lessons in 9 grades (from 1st kindergarten (3 years old) to sixth grade) and to teachers
  • commute 8 hours to and from class
  • physically attend class for 9 hours
  • complete around four hours of homework (reading can be done on the bus, granted)
  • plan for my lessons (At Krudy I usually spent about one hour per week straight-up planning for lessons per grade, plus time spent creating materials.  Obviously, I will not be doing that here: the teachers will provide me with a great amount of material.  But even if I spend only 20 minutes per grade planning/preparing materials, that's still 3 hours a week.)
In addition to these things, every two months I have to complete a final project for my two classes.  This time, it's a research paper and a didactic unit.  Every six weeks I have a training for the Beda program.  About once a month I have to dedicate a Saturday to something for school.  I also need to start writing my masters thesis soon enough, because I don't have a dedicated time for that.  I'll also hopefully give a few private lessons... Madrid is not cheap.  Madrid is EXPENSIVE.

I knew this was going to be a time commitment, but right now my head is spinning a little bit!  I know also that I can do this, it's just that I've gotten so lazy.  Give me some time and I'll get back in the swing of things for sure.  I think I can rest assured that I'll be doing a bit less traveling this year!

One place I will be traveling, though?  Budapest... I just bought a ticket to visit for the weekend of November 26th. :)

2 comments:

L's Mom said...

You will get it together. Just breath. You are in Spain. Visit a small cheaper city and enjoy the great life you have. Love and miss you so much. Love, Mom o0xo0x

Anonymous said...

enjoy your life this is what you wanted you will make it as usual love and miss you grandma xoxo