Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Perspective

Tomorrow is my last master's class of this masters, and quite possibly my last college class ever.  I have about two weeks to finish writing my thesis, which I've been totally blocked on but which will soon be done.  On June 1st, my work schedule also goes to half days, so all in all things are looking pretty sweet for the near future.  Which is good, because I'm just so tired after this year.  I really am just tired.

But then I wander onto facebook and see that one of my good friends from college, who I'm honestly a bit out of touch with beyond facebook, is back in Iraq and counting down the days until he's done with his five-year enlistment.  And that sort of puts everything into perspective.  And I have no choice but to laugh at myself, and how much I've spoiled myself in the last few years that I'm just so tired right now.

Still, it happens every year.  Dealing with kids all day long can be exhausting and demoralizing at times, and all of my colleagues have entered the phase where they are constantly sighing and dreaming of the last day.  Of course, then summer will start and it will be all planning and summer courses and soon enough that month will be over and it will be time for inservice, scheduling, and getting ready for the new year.  But at this moment, summer looks like the oasis that all non-teachers think it is, which to be honest (for me at least since I'm changing jobs again) it mostly is, and it's within sight!

1 comment:

LL's Mom said...

Glad you made it. I love you! Love, Mom o0xo0x