Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Vienna

The first weekend in October, I headed to Vienna.  Now, Vienna is only three hours away by train, and I had never been before.  Which is a bit embarrassing, but I always sort of figured I would make it there some weekend, and then I never did.  Plus, everyone always says Vienna is "like Budapest, but cleaner," so my desire to go wasn't the strongest.  Budapest's dirt never really bothers me.  I was starting to feel that I should definitely visit, thought, and through happy coincidence my new friend, Rachel, has a friend who lives there and had invited her to come visit.  

Of course, I woke up on Friday morning and got ready for work, and then was sick at the bus stop.  A day of sleeping somewhat prepared me for the trip, but I was still feeling pretty nasty when I got on the train.  I slept for the whole train ride, which I think made Rachel feel somewhat lonely.  Happily, our host was very understanding, and we grabbed a quick dinner (yummy, yummy Turkish food) and headed to bed.
Saturday morning our host made us breakfast.  I went out to get bread for us, and wound up taking quite a bit of time due to the lovely little neighborhood market that was going on.
After breakfast we headed out to do some sightseeing.  When we got off the tram downtown, almost exactly as my feet touched the ground, this incredibly loud siren started to go off.  It went off for at least two minutes, and actually hurt our ears.  I guess it was a test of the air raid alarm system, which everyone else knew about, and thus did not react to.  It was surreal, that everyone else was walking by calmly while we were freaking out.  If Rachel hadn't been there also freaking out, I think I would have easily thought I was going crazy!
Then the siren stopped, and we realized we were looking at the gorgeous Rathaus, or city hall.  Mom will be pleased to know that I was able to last-minute download a Vienna city guide, complete with maps and building descriptions and histories, to my Kindle for only 99 cents.  Best birthday present ever!
Our next stop was the Votive Church.
I jay-ran across the street to get a photo of this magnificent lion statue.
Another view of the Rathaus, with a circus in front of it.  Awesome building, really.
Parliament
a griffin statue
museum quarter
Guten Morgen.  I will be speaking German in all of my photos because I discovered that I SORT OF CAN.   Really horribly.  But I guess all the passive German I've had throughout my life has worked its way into my head, because I could read menus, buy things, and even get directions in German.  I was so pleased.
the Royal Butterfly House and the Volkspark
a pretty painted church
Mozart the bear
the tower of Stephensdom
Stephensdom- St. Stephen's Cathedral- again... notice the awful pollution staining the building.  So sad.
the tiled roof of Stephensdom
horse-drawn carriage around the back of St. Peter's Church
Petersdom
beer clinic!!!
horses again
Guten Tag.
I love the street light for bikes!
Karlsplatz: a fountain and an oddly Communist statue, with Cyrillic on it
weird music-playing sculpture in Karlsplatz
Hallo, liebchen.
The amazingly detailed signage continues: the bicyclist leans to the side while waiting for the light.  Love.
Karlsdom is epic.
Guten Abend.
For dinner, I finally pulled myself together and ate an enormous plate of food.  Wiener Schnitzel, of course!  Then we headed back to our host's, where I watched an entire team's worth of Austrian baseball (yes, baseball) players get wasted and have an impromptu, and only a little homoerotic, dance party.  It was pretty awesome.  I then accompanied the boys to a nearby bar/club, where they were promptly kicked out for dancing like obnoxious idiots and flapping their sweaty, unbuttoned shirts at the bouncer.  I then walked our host's roommate home.  At one point, we passed a bunch of Turkish guys, one of whom was lying on the ground.  The roommate went up to them and "spoke Turkish" by going "Bibadebibade."  Luckily no one was stabbed, and we made it home safe and sound.  Usually it's annoying, but sometimes it's really really funny to be the sober one.
The next morning, after breakfast, we headed to the Schonbrunn Palace.  Schon means "lovely," and it really was, and also a bit creepy and imperialistic, if full of beautiful flowers and sunshiney.  I love how these things so often mix, and how you can understand a place more if you know a bit of history, and history more after you see a place.  Austria-Hungarian Empire, what?  I also really enjoy how many attempts I've seen now at besting Versailles.
lovely fountain
fountain peeking from the trees
the castle and a view of Vienna
the arch atop the hill
The ducks were not so keen on my photographing them.
ducks and a panorama
Auf Wiedersehen!
After the castle we had some ice cream, grabbed our stuff, and caught the train back.  All in all it was a lovely little weekend away, and definitely came at the right time.  I still can't believe in my two years here before, I never made it to Vienna, but now I am very glad that I did.  It was beautiful, clean, and organized.  The people were friendly, the food was delicious, and I had a great time with that crazy baseball team.  I could communicate reasonably effectively and had no trouble navigating the city.  I would recommend Vienna to anyone... after they've visited Budapest.  Because while the two cities are quite similar, and Vienna is definitely more tourist friendly, Budapest still wins in my heart.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Hallo, liebchen!

How do you always get such great weather? Wien ist sur schoen!

Love ya and give the boys a pat. Love ya xoxo

LL's Mom said...

Very Nice. I am glad you had a great time. I wish we had a vegetable market like that. Love and miss you, Mom o0xo0xo0