Monday, February 13, 2012

I relax my brain.

My brain is totally relaxed.

This is the little chant that my yoga teacher does at the beginning and end of every lesson, starting from the toes and working up through the whole body, to end with the brain.  And while the concept of intentionally relaxing seems counterintuitive, it actually works.  After a relaxation activity, my arms feel heavy and lazy when I try to move them.  My chest and hips sort of spread open, and my legs press into the floor.  It's amazing.

I started taking yoga lessons at the beginning of January.  And I can think of nothing better to have done.  Not that I am awesome at yoga, by any means.  Today, for example, I totally fell coming out of the plow into the bridge.  And then I giggled, just to be extra nonzen.  I more appreciate yoga as a catalyst.  I have become more aware of my body and as such have started to eat more consciously and to exercise a lot more.  I stretch in the mornings and evenings.  I can do a shoulder stand for about five minutes now.

And I feel more relaxed.  Except at the concept of trying a head stand next week.  Then, not so relaxed!

1 comment:

LL's Mom said...

Everything sounds great. You are lucky. Love and miss you, Mom o0xo0