Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's a small Budapest, after all

Budapest is a city of about 2 million people.  It has 23 districts, and extends out over kilometers and kilometers.  And yet, everyone I meet knows someone that I know.

Part of this is due to the fact that Anna knows, I think, half of the city.  Then there is the expat community, which it still feels somewhat strange to include myself in.  I go to a party, and later get a friend request from a few people on facebook, each of whom has two or three mutual friends with me, often from totally different friend groups.  Or the same thing happens after a volunteer event, or even after just randomly meeting someone on the street.

I walk down the road and bump into people I know.  I sit down at a random cafe to grab a coffee and hear, "Hey!  Lauren!"  I've even wound up, coincidentally, on the same train as acquaintances, only to realize it after we bump into each other upon arrival to our destination.

It's all lovely, and I feel happy to be part of this big community.  At the same time, it's a bit disconcerting.  I'm starting to lose my anonymity in the city.  One of BP's greatest charms, for me, was the ability to walk down a street or sit down on a random bus, turn off my "trying to understand Hungarian" switch, and be totally alone in the crowd.  I can still usually manage that, but sometimes not.  It's an adjustment.

More and more I feel like I actually live here now.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Plus the famous-ness of authoring the most popular blog in Clifford dealing with Budapest.

Enjoy the gym--you're worth it.

Love ya xoxo