Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Years Resolutions, again

A website I read put up a really nice list of potential New Years Resolutions, including things like "stop pursuing an emotionally unavailable person" and "respect your own boundaries."  The one I like the best, however, is the suggestion to let other people be idiots.

This one is hard for me.  For one thing, I'm sort of overly self-confident sometimes, and I convince myself that my way of doing things is the best way.  For another, I'm a fixer, and everyone around me knows this.  When they need help, I will fix their problems for them and get them out of a jam.  So, if I prevent people from getting into problems in the first place, I save myself future work.  This has always been my justification.

But you know what?  What other people do, assuming that it doesn't impact me, really isn't any of my business.  I'm not the boss or manager of anything, I'm not in a serious relationship, and I don't have children.  I'm not responsible for anyone but myself.

So my second New Years Resolution this year is to let it go and chill the hell out.  When I see other bicyclists tooling around without helmets on, I will try my damnedest to not sigh angrily at them.  When I am in airport security and a woman is suddenly surprised that she has to take her shoes off, I will attempt to find my own personal zen.  When one of my colleagues tells me that they haven't planned anything for one of their lessons, I will endeavor to simply nod.  I will try very hard to not bitch about anyone or complain about things that I generally perceive as stupid.  In fact, every time I feel the urge to say something negative, I will try to replace that with a positive statement.  And in doing so, I will hopefully become a better person.

This is going to be the most difficult thing I've ever attempted to do.  I've moved to two foreign countries on my own, survived a year in the Americorps, gotten a masters in another language while working full-time, and spent 7 weeks traveling in Eastern Europe with no itinerary.  Those were all cake walks.   This?  This will be hard.

No comments: